If you know Chris and I, you know we plan to get a big white dog eventually. We’ve kept our eyes on the local shelters and rescue organizations for months, planning on seriously getting a dog after the holidays.
Mimi has been up for adoption for quite a few months now- and on Thursday they posted that she really needed a foster to get a break from boarding and kennels. We’d been kinda keeping our eyes on her listing, so decided to give her a try firsthand and let her stay with us for a few days.
While she stayed with us, she was Snowtime, just like any dog that stays in our house will be – when she’s not with us, she’s Mimi because there can only be one Snowtime.
Here’s her photo from the petfinder profile. What a sweetie!
Chris picked her up on Thursday and instantly found out how nice she was – she loved, loved people and was very well trained and behaved with us, just not real friendly when it comes to other dogs.
Mimi got to be very good at respecting Chris – she spent more time with him and realized he was boss. This video proves that. You can also tell how big she is!
Saturday morning, Mimi saw a dog walk down the street and freaked out – she was barking, growling and running around like crazy. Chris had to take her in the bedroom to get her to calm down. Here’s Mimi when she’s calm after the big freak out session. I was giving her some pets.
We finally took down our Christmas tree on Saturday with a little help from Mimi- if it was up to me, it would have been down January 1, but Chris likes to keep it up longer (like dad!) so I usually don’t argue. So we dropped off our tree on our way to Salt Lake with Mimi.
As part of fostering her, we’re supposed to bring her to an adoption event to give her chances to be adopted if we’re not sure if we want to keep her. We were a little on the fence about keeping her, and the organization said she likely would not be adopted, so we should bring her, so we did.
In the bin, she goes!
When we dropped Mimi at the adoption event, we could choose to have them call us if someone was interested and we could decide to override their request and adopt or not have them call until after the adoption happened. We chose to not have them call – we weren’t 100% sure Mimi was the right dog for us, and if someone else was, they should have her.
Well, in the end – we said goodbye to our Christmas tree and two hours later, said goodbye to Mimi. We spent some of Saturday afternoon in tears, wishing we decided things differently, but knowing that we made the right decision for her. She deserves a home and if it’s not with us, we’re okay with that. We’d hate to foster her for another 2 weeks or so and then decide that we can’t work with her aggression, she bothers my allergies or something else and she’d missed this opportunity to have a home.